First Half of 2021
- Eneanya OA, Koudou BG, Aboulaye M, Elvis AA, Souleymane Y, Kouakou MM, Weil GJ, Fischer PU. Progress towards onchocerciasis elimination in Côte d’Ivoire: A geospatial modelling study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2021 Feb 10;15(2):e0009091. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0009091. eCollection 2021 Feb PMID: 33566805. This study reviewed dramatic improvements in onchocerciasis endemicity that have occurred in Côte d’Ivoire since ivermectin was introduced in the early 1990s. The study generated maps that predict areas at risk for persistent infection and transmission, and it discusses prospects for elimination of onchocerciasis in the country.
- Ouattara AF, Bjerum CM, Aboulaye M, Kouadio O, Marius VK, Andersen B, Lew D, Goss CW, Weil GJ, Koudou BG, King CL. Semiannual Treatment of Albendazole Alone is Efficacious for Treatment of Lymphatic Filariasis: A Randomized Open-label Trial in Cote d’Ivoire. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Mar 1:ciab194. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciab194. PMID: 33674871. This study found that semiannual albendazole is effective against LF. It reduces Mf counts more slowly than the albendazole plus ivermectin, it is safe for use in areas in Africa where ivermectin cannot be used because of loiasis. Thus, this paper supports the WHO policy for LF elimination in areas with coendemic loiasis.
- Hardy M, Samuela J, Kama M, Tuicakau M, Romani L, Whitfeld MJ, King CL, Weil GJ, Grobler AC, Robinson LJ, Kaldor JM, Steer AC. Individual efficacy and community impact of ivermectin, diethylcarbamazine and albendazole mass drug administration for lymphatic filariasis control in Fiji: a cluster randomised trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Mar 17:ciab202. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciab202. PMID: 33728462. This paper reports that IDA was no more effective than DEC plus albendazole for LF elimination in Rotuma Island (Fiji). Reasons for this are not clear at this time.
- Supali T, Djuardi Y, Christian M, Iskandar E, Alfian R, Maylasari R, Destani Y, Lomiga A, Minggu D, Lew D, Bogus J, Weil GJ, Fischer PU. An open label, randomized clinical trial to compare the tolerability and efficacy of ivermectin plus diethylcarbamazine and albendazole vs. diethylcarbamazine plus albendazole for treatment of brugian filariasis in Indonesia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2021 Mar 29;15(3):e0009294. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0009294. eCollection 2021 Mar. PMID: 33780481. This paper reports results from the first study of IDA in persons with brugian filariasis, which accounts for approximately 10% of the global LF burden. IDA was well tolerated and significantly more effective for clearing microfilaremia than the traditional two drug combination DEC plus albendazole.
- Campillo JT, Awaca-Uvon NP, Tambwe JP, Kuyangisa-Simuna G, Vlaminck J, Weil GJ, Boussinesq M, Chesnais CB, Pion SDS. A strong effect of individual compliance with mass drug administration for lymphatic filariasis on sustained clearance of soil-transmitted helminth infections. Parasit Vectors. 2021 Jun 8;14(1):310. doi: 10.1186/s13071-021-04814-2. PMID: 34103096. This paper provides important information on the effects of MDA for LF on coendemic soil-transmitted helminth infections. It clearly shows the correlation between individual compliance with MDA and the STH benefit.
I am an active follower and lover of DOLF project . It’s a long-held ambition to work with this team and in this project in the nearest future. Congratulations on this milestone